Friday, March 20, 2009

BYU Museum of Art

Dear Truth Seeker, 

Just this past week our class had the opportunity to learn more about art. A lady from BYU's Museam of Art came to talk to us. Admittedly I wasn't interested at first to learn about art. I have always enjoyed creating my own art, but interpreting art has never been something that I thought was worth my time. Why do I say that? Well the interpretation of art is just like poetry, but worse. Art is even more subjective in its interpretation and who are we to prescribe a meaning that wasn't supposed to be? Artists have different reasons for doing what they do, and I always thought it overly presumptuous of us to dictate to an artist the real value of his/her piece of artwork. 

This was the approach that I had going into this entire discussion Tuesday afternoon, and the truth be told, I fell asleep out of sheer boredom. Gasp! right? Those who are reading and are in our D&C Class please don't judge me, but it was honestly quite boring. The only thing keeping me awake was the pizza. 

Such were my feelings heading into yesterday's museum visit. Upon arriving at the museum I felt something different. I saw the pieces of artwork about the Savior's life, his birth and even his ministry. We had a specially guided tour of the museum where discussing the pieces of artwork we were brought (or at least I was) to the realization that our professor had a reason for doing all of this. It was a very enriching experience, and one wherein I felt the Spirit strongly. I am so happy for this opportunity that we had to do this. The pieces of artwork especially the one that depicts Christ healing someone beside the pool of Bethesda caught my attention and made me feel the Spirit. It was there that I realized and developed my very own meaning of those individual pieces of artwork. I realized that I, myself was putting meaning arbitrarily to these pieces of artwork, but it too made me realize how these pieces of artwork can really speak to one's soul.

I know that Christ lives, and that through many different mediums we can all receive that testimony that He lives still today, that He died for our sins, and that through Him all things are made possible. I was reminded of the things that I need to do better, and I am dedicated to making sure those things come about in my life. Thanks Dr. H. for this awesome self-teaching opportunity, thanks to the Spirit too.

No comments: